Thursday, December 10, 2020

Richard Corben, 1940-2020

 

Richard Corben, Iconic Heavy Metal Artist, Has Died

RIchard Corben, the iconic award-winning comic book artist best known for his work for Heavy Metal, has passed away at the age of 80. 

Click on the link to get the details.

 https://www.cbr.com/richard-corben-heavy-metal-obituary/

 Like a lot of the members of my generation, I discovered the marvelous, mind shattering art of Richard Corben in the so called "head shops" that sold alt-lifestyle clothes and paraphernalia. Most of them carried SCREW Magazine and underground comix.

After discovering Frank Frazetta's covers for the Edgar Rice Burroughs paperbacks from ACE under Don Wollheim; Richard Corben was the next great artist I followed. From Corben, Jeffrey Jones, Berni Wrightson and Michael Whelan followed expanding the worlds of horror, fantasy and damn fine story telling.

Den, Bloodstar, Fantagor, Heavy Metal, Metal Hurlant - the more you followed Corben, the more you discovered other like minds and talents.

Then one day I stopped in at The Record Shop and there was Corbens' cover for Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell. My worlds had come full circle.

And now, after all those years I'm filled with emotions. I remember the joy of the first finding something awesome; and, now the pain of it going away.

My condolences to Dona, his family and to the world as it has become a sadder place.

No comments:

Post a Comment