Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Growing Older


Someone asked me if I liked growing older. My response was, not in particular, but it is acceptable - Who thought it
would come so soon. As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. Yep - little things don't
irritate me anymore. Big incompetent snafus still do. I've become my own friend. I get some really good replies.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world, too soon; and it hurts every time.

There is a great freedom that comes with aging. Along with that freedom comes more responsibilities - mostly to
set a good example for the grandchildren.

Whose business is it, if I choose to read, or play, on the computer, until 4 AM, or sleep until noon? Only my
wife. I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50, 60 & 70's, as long as my ankles hold out. And if I,
at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love, or two, or more, too many years ago to remember them all. I will.

I will walk the beach, in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves, with
abandon, with any luck the waves won't knock me on my butt and tear up my knees if I choose to, despite the
pitying glances from the jet set. Ain't no jet setters in my Community, but we do have a magnificent beach. They
too, will get old. But they do not yet know it is coming.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. Huh? But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. But some mistakes
are a lot of fun to live over again - with embellished outcomes of course. That goes with the forgetting and, I
eventually remember the important things. Like glasses and toilet paper.

Sure, over the years, my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break, when you lose a loved one, or
when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet passes? I've been through all three and I would rather
not have any more of that. But, broken hearts are what give us strength, and understanding, and compassion. And
most of all: faith. A heart never broken, is pristine, and sterile, and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, it looks darker to me until I see my
picture and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. Nope - not yet So many
have never laughed, and that is sad - laughter is healing at any age and so many have died before their hair could
turn silver. Go get the bottle and try again -

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. So much to be thankful for. You care less about what other people
think or say. I don't question myself anymore. Darn, how could I bet against Clemson! I've even earned the right to
be wrong. That may be so, but living with the consequences is sometimes difficult.

I like being old. I don't mind the old, I do mind the health issues. Old has set me free! I like the person I have
become. I know I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could
have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it). In our
household, we eat dessert FIRST - always.

No comments:

Post a Comment